July 12, 2005

My People

The Filipino Poor
This is the reason why me and millions of other Filipinos left our country.
I will always remember the saga that I experienced in my life living in the Philippines. It was poor and middle class.
Sabe pa nga Nila "Buwesit talaga ang buhay sa Pilipinas".
(What a lousy life living in the Philippines)
I just laugh when I hear that coming from a fellow Filipino. Because it is not true and life in the Philippines is easier than living in other countries. Majority of my friends and classmates were poor but all of them survived the hot climate of the Philippines and eat the rotten cane that they harvest in the fields of dreams.
I mostly socialize with different types of Filipinos from the Mag-tataho(Tofu vendor) and to a son of a President of a famous bank. I learned to survive in the streets of Cabanatuan,Cebu,Davao and Metro Manila. It was easy for me to find my niche and survive without the help of my parents but with the helped of my impoverish friends.
People knew me but I didn't know them. I was famous but without the 15 minutes of fame. I was a star in my own third world but couldn't understand the events that I experienced in the 25 years of my life in the land of different culture.
I learned how to eat rice with sugar with my friends.
The good part is I still eat rice with sugar in the land of Sour Milk and Poison Honey.

3 comments:

olrayt said...

oo nga... pero minsan kasi talaga nakakainis na e... kayod ka nang kayod, nanakawin lang ng gubyerno ang pinaghirapan mo...

but hey, that's not different from any other country...

my one peso and eleven centavos worth of thoughts...

Emmanuel said...

aahhh pinas... ganda dito swabeh!

keep on shining pare!

ciao!

Anonymous said...

ever heard of claire danes (the actress "blah!") who criticized the philippines while filming a movie? poverty to me is not a "kapintasan" (how can you translate that in english, i dunno...) :-P instead, it is a very pitiful scenario only people with a big heart could understand... truthfully, i came here in the US not for monetary reason... i am an RN (and y'know what i mean)... who would not grab the opportunity? but in my mind and heart, i've always loved to go home... i always miss the philippines especially the rainy season... why? that is the only time my brothers and i could sit down together, play guitar or chess... i came from a poor family but i was happy with no regrets... i hold my head up high and i'm so proud to say i came from the poor country --- philippines --- where i learned the value of LOVE, FRIENDSHIP and TRUST in GOD...

anyways, this ain't my blog... so, i give the floor to you, my dear achilles... (hehehe!) love you...

Orpheum Boston