October 21, 2004

The Sugbu (Cebu City)

Lapu-Lapu was a brave Moro chieftain of Mactan. Too bad Ferdinand Magellan forgot to bring the Santo Nino with him when he landed on the island in 1521.
The "Little Jesus" should have able to save Magellan's life.

After a boring life in Davao City my mom finally got a great respectable job in the recording industry. "J.E.M." hired her to be the regional manager for that company base in Cebu City. J.E.M recording was one of the companies who changed the structure of the recording industry in the Philippines. Famous singers and bands started with that company, like The A.P.O. hiking society, Hajji Alejandro, V.S.T @ company, Freddie Aguilar and more. I felt I had a claim to fame during those years in Cebu City. Life was good and famous. I enrolled in a very good Catholic school in Mango Avenue - The Colegio De la Immaculada Conception (C.I.C school sounds familiar). It is the island version of the University belt in Manila. It was a good 7 years of my life in The Sugbu were I learned to swim, harvest clams and socialize with very rich people. Cebu City was a small America in the Visayas were rich kids speak Cebuano with an accent of spanish. Majorities of Cebuanos are very religious even though they kill themselves after a religious mass. Perhaps a tradition that they learned from The Conquistadors were to invade other land for the name of religion
I love The Sugbu

No comments:

Orpheum Boston